Kashmir Indepth
World

‘N. Korean envoy to Italy in hiding, has sought asylum’

North Korea’s top diplomat in Italy has sought asylum and gone into hiding, Seoul lawmakers told reporters after a closed-door meeting with South Korean intelligence officials on Thursday.

It would mark the latest high-profile defection by a senior North Korean envoy since the Deputy Ambassador in London abandoned his post in 2016.

“Acting Ambassador Jo Song-gil’s term was ending in late November last year and he escaped the diplomatic compound in early November” with his wife, South Korean lawmaker Kim Min-ki told reporters.

Mr. Jo, 48, has been acting Ambassador in Rome since October 2017 after Italy expelled the then Ambassador Mun Jong-nam in protest at a North Korean nuclear test a month earlier in violation of UN resolutions.

Italy is an important diplomatic mission for Pyongyang, as it handles relations with the Rome-headquartered UN Food and Agriculture Organisation and North Korea suffers from chronic food shortages.

Another member of the South Korean Parliament, Lee Eun-jae, told reporters that the National Intelligence Service (NIS) had confirmed that the envoy had sought asylum, but did not appear to know his whereabouts.

‘Italy has no knowledge’

A source close to the Italian Foreign Ministry said on Thursday that the country had “no knowledge” of any asylum request from Mr. Jo. The source said the Ministry had simply received a request for the “replacement” of the diplomat, but did not know Mr. Jo’s whereabouts, adding that the replacement had arrived in Rome.

The NIS briefing to lawmakers came after South Korea’s JoongAng Ilbo daily reported that Mr. Jo had sought asylum in an unidentified Western country with his family.

“He sought asylum early last month,” the JoongAng quoted a diplomatic source in Seoul as saying.

Italian authorities were “agonising” over what to do, the official was cited as saying, but added that they were “protecting him in a safe place”. Mr. Jo is “known to be a son or son-in-law of one of the highest-level officials in the North’s regime”, the JoongAng cited an unnamed North Korea expert as saying.

Most North Korean diplomats serving overseas are normally required to leave several family members — typically children — behind in Pyongyang to prevent their defection while working abroad.

Mr. Jo however came to Rome in May 2015 with his wife and children, suggesting that he may be from a privileged family, the JoongAng said, adding the reason for his defection bid was still unclear.

Related posts

Five killed in suicide blast in Kabul

Kashmir Indepth

New Zealand delays election after virus outbreak in Auckland

Kashmir Indepth

Balakot air strike didn’t yield desired results: Togadia

Kashmir Indepth

Donald Trump, Melania Test Positive For COVID-19

Kashmir Indepth

Pak PM wants to avoid pricey hotels during his stay in Washington

Kashmir Indepth

Six coronavirus deaths in US, 91 confirmed cases: Pence

Kashmir Indepth

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy