Kashmir Indepth
Breaking NewsKashmir

Handwara gunfight: Health team disallowed to visit 5 ‘starving’ families, question mark on SOP adherence

 

Suhail Khan

Kupwara, March 3 : Government forces on Sunday allegedly disallowed a health team carrying first aid kit besides essentials including baby food and biscuits to visit five families, who according to the locals are stuck inside their houses at Babagund Handwara in this north Kashmir district, where a fierce gunfight between government forces and militants ended earlier this morning after nearly three days of siege.

The incident has called into question adherence of SOP by government forces which mandates evacuation of civilian population before gunfight.

A team of officials of health department, carrying first aid kit, essentials including baby food, biscuits and ‘dals’ were not allowed by the government forces. “We were not allowed to meet the families,” the health officials told GNS near the spot of the gunfight.

When contacted Deputy Commissioner Kupwara Anshul Garg said that he would confirm with SSP concerned given this is a “police monitored encounter.”

Later, the GNS contacted a senior police officer who said that the team has been allowed after the area was clearedonce.” “There is apprehension of stray explosives in the area and once the area was sanitized, the team has now been allowed.” (GNS)

Related posts

Six Persons Held In Separate Incidents, Charas, Brown Sugar Recovered

Kashmir Indepth

Police solves acid attack case in Shopian; accused person arrested

Ankit Sharma

India has failed Kashmir in keeping its promises: Mehbooba Mufti

Kashmir Indepth

Enrollment Drive Kick-started at Sedow, Shopian

Ankit Sharma

One militant killed in Baramulla shootout

Kashmir Indepth

DC Anantnag convenes meeting of DLAC on Safe Food & Healthy Diets

Kashmir Indepth

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy