Kashmir Indepth
Kashmir

Ganderbal terror attack: Search operation underway to nab attackers

Srinagar, Oct 21 (KINS): A massive search operation is underway in Jammu and Kashmir’s gagangeer area of Ganderbal district after terrorists attacked a tunnel-construction site on the Srinagar-Leh national highway, killing a doctor and six labourers.
The attackers struck late on Sunday, targeting innocent workers who had returned to their camp near Gund after a day’s work on the tunnel project, officials reported.
The terrorists, as per reports believed to be two in number, opened indiscriminate fire on the group, which included both local and non-local labourers. Two died at the scene, while four others and a doctor succumbed to their injuries later. Five others are being treated for injuries.
The deceased have been identified as Dr. Shahnawaz, Faheem Nazir, Kaleem, Mohammad Hanif, Shashi Abrol, Anil Shukla, and Gurmeet Singh.
Senior security officials, including Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kashmir, V K Birdi, were at the site to oversee the search operation.
Security forces have cordoned off the area and are working to track down the attackers, officials said.
The attack has been widely condemned with Home Minster Amit Shah saying that the dastardly terror attack on civilians in Gagangir, J&K, was a “despicable act of cowardice”.
“Those involved in this heinous act will not be spared and will face the harshest response from our security forces,” he said in a post on X, adding, “At this moment of immense grief, I extend my sincerest condolences to the families of the deceased. Praying for the speedy recovery of those injured. “
In a post on X, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha said: “I strongly condemn the heinous terrorist attack on civilians in Gagangeer. I assure the people that those behind this despicable act will not go unpunished. We have given full freedom to J&K Police, Army and Security forces.”
He said further said: “Our brave personnel are on the ground & they will ensure terrorists pay a very heavy price for their action. My heartfelt condolences to bereaved families. Praying for speedy recovery of the injured. The entire nation stands in solidarity with the families in this hour of grief.”
In a post on X, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah condemned the incident as dastardly and cowardly on part of the militants.(KINS)

Related posts

Chief Secretary reviews functioning of Health & Medical Education Department
Directs the Department to rollout patient feedback mechanism through Mera Haspatal by February 2022

Kashmir Indepth

Beig’s lovelast for PC’s Lone faces grand alliance counter: Govt formation on cards, Altaf Bukhari likely to lead new team

Kashmir Indepth

Kashmir International Open Chess Rating Tournament from July 2

Zainab Hamdani

DG Horticulture Kashmir conducts extensive tour of Anantnag

Ankit Sharma

Bulletin on Novel Corona Virus (COVID-19)
JK reports249 new positive cases, 114722 recovered so far

Kashmir Indepth

Srinagar records hottest day in September after 18 years

Zainab Hamdani

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy