Transport Commissioner says 135 applications received for scrapping old vehicles and purchasing new ones under subsidy scheme
KINS Desk
Srinagar, Jan 17 (KINS): Transport Commissioner Jammu and Kashmir, Vishesh Paul Mahajan, on Friday said that 135 applications have been received under the subsidy scheme for scrapping old vehicles and purchasing new ones.
The initiative, part of the government’s broader plan to reduce vehicular pollution and enhance road safety, targets buses, minibuses, and metadors that have exceeded their operational lifespan.
“Under the scheme, vehicle owners are required to scrap their old vehicles of above 15 years in the presence of Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) officials, after which a certificate of scrappage will be issued. The government will provide financial assistance of up to Rs 5 lakh or 16% of the vehicle’s cost—whichever is lower—directly into the loan account of applicants purchasing new vehicles,” Mahajan told reporters here, according to news agency KINS.
Speaking during a visit to Srinagar, the commissioner said the registration process for the scheme is underway, with advertisements already issued. “We have received 35 applications in Kashmir and nearly 100 in Jammu so far,” he said, urging more vehicle owners to participate in the scheme.
The commissioner also highlighted ongoing efforts to improve road safety across the region, including strict action against traffic violators, inspections of the Transport Commissioner’s office, and plans to introduce state-of-the-art vehicle testing facilities in Srinagar, similar to those being developed in Jammu.(KINS)