Kashmir Indepth
Kashmir

Authorities suspend Amarnath Yatra citing bad weather SABLO, Ponnywallas, Yatris upset with decision

Authorities suspend Amarnath Yatra citing bad weather

SABLO, Ponnywallas, Yatris upset with decision

Srinagar, August 4: Authorities have prematurely suspended the annual Amarnath Yatra, citing inclement weather and safety concerns — a move that has upset thousands of stakeholders including Latris, Langar organisers, Ponnywallas, and shopkeepers who depend on the pilgrimage for their livelihood.

The pilgrimage, which began on July 3 and was scheduled to conclude on August 9, has been suspended from August 03 along both the Sonamarg-Baltal and Pahalgam-Chandanwari routes.

Divisional Commissioner Kashmir, V.K. Bhiduri, said the decision was taken in the interest of pilgrims’ safety due to recent heavy rainfall that caused damage to tracks.

More than 4.10 lakh yatris have visited the holy cave this year to pay obeisance.

Despite the official explanation, the decision has drawn criticism from various quarters.

Members of the Shri Amarnath Barfani Langars Organisation (SABLO) pilgrims, and locals associated with the pilgrimage have expressed frustration and disappointment.

President of SABLO, Rajan Gupta, questioned the rationale behind the sudden closure.

“We fail to understand why the Yatra has been called off a week in advance. The same happened last year as well. This year, 122 langars (community kitchens) were set up, and we had stocked supplies for pilgrims until August 11,” he said.

Kapoor also challenged the government’s claim of adverse weather.

“There has been no significant rainfall. If our volunteers are able to reach upper areas, why can’t yatris? The suspension may be due to reasons other than weather,” he claimed.

Pilgrims too were left disappointed.

Rohan Sharma from Himachal Pradesh, who was scheduled to undertake the yatra on August 4 along with his family, said he had made all travel arrangements in advance. “We were supposed to reach Kashmir on August 3 and begin the yatra the next day. It is disheartening. If the authorities intended to end the yatra early, they should have informed us before the journey began,” he said. (KINS)

Related posts

Two Nurses Among 13 test positive; JK COVID-19 tally rises to 836

Kashmir Indepth

Air ticket from Del-Sgr costs Rs 10,000-15,000, costlier than South Asia

Zainab Hamdani

Jhelum Cart, Kashmir’s Homegrown Online Marketplace Launched

Zainab Hamdani

J&K Police Postpones “Run For Peace” Marathon 2019

Kashmir Indepth

Sumbal rape: Magam, Budgam towns shut for 4th consecutive day

Kashmir Indepth

Restoration of Autonomy only way forward in Kashmir: Dr Farooq Abdullah

Kashmir Indepth

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy