Omar Abdullah slams JDA demolitions, alleges targeting of ‘particular community’
KINS Correspondent
Srinagar, Nov 28 (KINS): Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday lashed out at the Jammu Development Authority (JDA) over its recent demolition drive in Jammu, alleging that the action was selectively targeting a particular community under directions from officials appointed by the Raj Bhawan.
Speaking to reporters at the National Conference headquarters here, Omar said the officers spearheading the drive had “started bulldozers without seeking consent from the elected government or taking the concerned minister into confidence.”
“The officers appointed by Raj Bhawan have started bulldozer without seeking consent from the elected government or taking the concerned minister in confidence. This seems a conspiracy to defame the elected government,” Omar said, according to news agency Kashmir Indepth News Service (KINS).
He reiterated that his government does not support illegal encroachments or unauthorized constructions but questioned what he termed as a “pick and choose policy” in the ongoing anti-encroachment action.
The Chief Minister said his government was not in favour of illegal constructions. “But why target a particular community? I want to ask the CEO JDA to release a list of illegal occupants, then we will see what action they will take. But why do they adhere to pick and choose policy?” he asked.
Omar Abdullah said that the present situation had arisen because key field and revenue staff had been appointed directly by the Raj Bhawan, bypassing the elected government.
“We have been saying that the elected government should have the right to appoint field staff and revenue staff. But these people appointed by Raj Bhawan are getting directives from somewhere else to target a particular community,” he alleged.
He added that had his government appointed the officials involved in the demolitions, “we would have taken immediate action” if they acted in a biased manner. (KINS)

